Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Very Beginning of an Idea

This morning I was looking through my new issue of Belle Armoire Jewelry. There was an article about fold-forming metal.  I have been wanting to try this for some time.  I have yet to try the fold-forming because, so far, the cost of silver is somewhat prohibitive. The author mentioned that she had purchased sheets of aluminum from her local hardware store.  For some reason this flipped a switch in my brain and I suddenly had this amazing idea. 

It's still in the conception phase and I thought maybe you would enjoy following along on this creative path.  The aluminum comment started me thinking about soda pop cans.  I don't drink pop, and I rarely buy pop, not wanting to waste money on something with zero food value.  I know people that drink pop and I'm hoping to get some empty cans to play with. I was thinking that I could pick up some metal shears and cut up empty soda cans into interesting shapes and turn them into beads and jewelry.  I'm also going to see if I can roll the aluminum and make links with it.  I still have to find a way to make sure the edges aren't so sharp that they will cut. 

I have some miniature cookie cutters in a variety of fun shapes that I think will be fun to use to cut the aluminum.  I want to get some empty cans in a variety of bright colors and see what happens when I cut them into shapes and then combine them into projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment