Friday, December 18, 2015

Holiday Spirit

Ever since Thanksgiving I have suffered from a slight low-grade bad mood.  I figured it was because I have been just the tiniest bit overworked with the extra holiday parties to cater.  Just a touch of tiredness and feeling overwhelmed.

But the feeling persisted in spite of anticipating the holiday break.  I finally decided enough was enough and I pulled this bad mood out of the dark and shone the bright light of day on it.  I realized that what I was feeling was dread.

Now I have a full-time job that while doesn't pay as much as I would like, pays enough for me to keep the bills paid, oxygen in my tank, food on the table and the numerous pets fed.  As I continued to scrutinize my bad feelings, I realized they were from the past.  In past years, I did not have a full time job.  I did not make enough money and both money and time seemed to be in scarce supply.  There were times when food wasn't as plentiful as I would have preferred.

This year, not only do I have a holiday break, but I have worked long enough to accrue vacation pay.  So, for the first time, I will have a paid holiday.  I just received an order of glass to keep me occupied.  My house is already fairly tidy after this morning's whirlwind cleaning session.  And I can go buy whatever I want to prepare in the way of special holiday meals.

I am glad that I took the time to decipher my bad feelings.  I am now looking forward to the Christmas break with anticipation, gratitude, and the realization that I will have plenty of time to accomplish all that I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment